The water industry is growing and a recent report, released by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM), estimates that Canadian municipality water, wastewater, and solid waste facilities will require almost $40 billion dollars when it comes to current infrastructure. It is anticipated that with the new wastewater regulations more than 1,000 wastewater treatment systems – one-in-four – across the country will need to be reconstructed or replaced. The Federation of Canadian Ministers says meeting the standards will require billions invested in infrastructure over the next ten years.
The water industry is “top heavy” with a large portion of managers and senior personnel over the age of 50 years old. As “Baby Boomers” start to retire in the near future, the need for talent to fill those positions will become critical to ensure the continued quality and safety of our water.
Working in Water…
Water and wastewater careers offer the possibility of long-term stable options for those who believe in the importance of, and want to make an impact on, the health and environment of their communities and country. These careers offer choice, challenge, balance and flexibility.
Every year governments contribute many millions of dollars in developing, maintaining and renewing Canada’s water infrastructure. But, the best treatment facilities and distribution and collection networks are only as good as the many thousands of people behind the scenes who operate, maintain and renew water infrastructure on a daily basis. Most of these occupations are regulated through certification.
Come learn more from a diverse array of women and men from all walks of life who are working in the field.
The water industry provides outstanding lifestyle choices, flexibility and personal development opportunities, as well as the chance to make a real difference to the environment and to people’s health and quality of life.
GUIDES, POST-SECONDARY AND OPERATOR CERTIFICATION INFORMATION
- A Guide to Exploring Careers in Water and Wastewater Operations
- Supplemental Information for Parents, Educators and Role Models
- CWWA – National Internship and Co-op Opportunities
- Alberta Water and Wastewater Operators Association (AWWOA)
- Facility Operator Certification (Alberta Environment)
- First Nations (AB) Technical Services Advisory Group – Circuit Rider Program
- NAIT Water & Wastewater Technician Program (Alberta)
- Saskatchewan Water and Waste Association (SWWA)
- Saskatchewan Operator Certification Board
- Facility Operator Certification Information (Saskatchewan Environment)
- Sask H2O (provincial operator information)
- SIAST Water & Wastewater Technical Program (Saskatchewan)
- Manitoba Water and Wastewater Association (MWWA)
- Facility Operator Certification (Manitoba Conservation)
- Red River College Water and Wastewater School (Manitoba)
NORTHERN TERRITORIES (Northwest Territories & Nunavut)
- Northern Territories Water and Waste Association
- Government of the Northwest Territories Water Operations
- CIRCUIT RIDER TRAINERS PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION (pan-Canadian)
Companion Video Segments
- Water and Wastewater Operations
- Water Supply & Treatment Careers
- Water Distribution Careers
- Wastewater Collection Careers
- Wastewater Treatment Careers
- Process Control and Laboratory Careers
- Water Utility Management & Infrastructure Career Insights
- Opportunities and Options – Water Operations Careers